Tuesday, March 17, 2009

life interrupted

'Life interrupted' - what a title!! don't we all feel at times that our lives are interrupted - from our plan - our path - our dream - our reality - etc. etc.
There was a movie with a similar title years ago about a girl whose life was interrupted by mental illness. Everything changed! Nothing was ever the same.
Today I read an even more striking article about Simon of Cyrene. A man on his way to celebrate a high Jewish holiday, the Passover, the release of God's chosen people from slavery was suddenly grabbed and forced to carry a huge beam on his back to the 'place of the skull' - Golgotha. For him it was a shameful thing in which to be involved - this Roman murder. He was simply headed to celebrate - to synagogue - and suddenly out of nowhere, his life was changed - interrupted from his plan, his reality. This was nothing of his own doing - but it permanently marked him.
Simon walked behind a man like no man he had evr known. One who turned and spoke to women who were wailing beside him. He comforted them and spoke truth - and reminded them of the Old Testament scriptures. We can only guess what went through Simon's mind as he watched and listened to this Jesus, on His way to His undeserved death. But we can be certain that his life was never the same - Scripture is silent on Simon again.
I must put myself in Simon's place and think what it means to observe and follow this most unusual man. What will I do with the circumstances that 'interrupt' my life? How will I react? What direction will the event of gazing in jesus' face have on the rest of my life?
How do I handle these 'forks in my path?' Do I see them in relation to following the God of everything or merely see them as an 'interruption' as I follw a condemned man.
Do I believe Hebres 2:8 - that 'nothing is out of His control?' Do I chose to trust Him or grumble and complain that I have this misfortune to carry a cross?
What an honor for Simon that he was selected by God to carry the Cross!!
Honor and trust or interruption??

No comments: