Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"give me a 'break'"

Hebrews 3 tells us to hold 'fast' and again to hold 'firm' our confidence and/or relationship with Christ to the end. Yet sometimes we 'feel' we are being or have been so good/spiritual - working so hard on our growth or ministry or so involved with our church or study - that we need a break...just some down time, some time to relax, to not think, to just hang out, to forget everything just for a time, etc. Whatever!

Again we are in the midst of the throws of a dilemna where each 'side' sounds right and the arguments can go on and on and each 'sounds' so right. What then are we to think? How do we live? Do we chunk it all because it is confusing? NO! it is right here that our enemy is active and alive and seeking whom he can devour. We must press on and see truth.

We must press on and persevere and hold fast. We do not need a break. We do not need a vacation from our faith. ' We can no more have a break from spirituality and remain spiritual than we can have a break from morality and remain moral.' The problem - as always - lies with the big 'I.' We are making it something that God never intended - a responsibility that He never intended for us to bear. He is far more gentle and patient than we can ever imagine. Yes, the standard is high - perfect - but the burden is light (Matt. 11:28-30). Who can resist these verses -"Come unto me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you , and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." How can this be? What ever does it mean? I sure don't experience this!

Again - the problem is always with me and what I want or think I need or deserve or the way I think God wants me to be or act or grow.... something is wrong - and it is in my thinking. God is a totally loving and patient and kind and good Father. Why do I put pressures on myself when He does not. If the yoke is hard, it is because it is my yoke. It is 'me' either trying to earn His love - which is already mine - by being 'great.' Or, there is something I am desparately trying to hanging on to - and I am trying to serve two masters (Matt. 6:19- 24) - me and what I want or me and what I think I should be.
Relax!! All of life is His - all of life can be spiritual. I don't have to get into a 'spiritual mode. It just is.

So - how can a yoke be easy and how can a burden be light? When it is His and not mine and He carries it - not me. I am totally dependant - for joy, for peace, for fulfillment, etc. and herein is peace and freedom and power.

No comments: